Okay, I admit it, I am a research addict! Being a good researcher can be a great strength…but at times, a weakness as well. It can be SO easy and tempting to get distracted by ALL the goodies you find! Because of this, I tend to rely on tools that help me find the content or information I’m looking for as quickly and as efficiently as possible. The tool I want to share with you today is one such amazing research tool. It’s a website that has become one of my favorites. As a reader of this blog, YOU have benefited from the research gleaned using this tool many times, and so, after today, you will gain the same benefit (and edge) that I have leveraged into content creation, articles and much more.
To be honest, I share this website with you reluctantly BECAUSE it’s such an amazing research tool. I don’t like giving away ALL my secrets. In this case, however, I’ll make the exception so that you can benefit from it as I have!
The website I’m referring to is SimilarSites (http://www.similarsites.com). It’s a search engine of sorts that enables you to find other websites that are similar to the website you type into the search box. I use this website’s search strategy in many different ways, but I’ll share one key method with you today as it relates to the Public Domain. You can use it to find similar and related content sites! Here’s what I mean.
For our example, I typed in the well-known Public Domain content site, Gutenberg.org. I don’t do much with the content from Project Gutenberg, but figured that there may be other sites out there RELATED to it that may offer more great content. BINGO! I was right. Upon conducting the search, here are the results I received…nearly ALL of them offer content from the Public Domain in one form or another:
Similar Sites to Gutenberg.Org
- ManyBooks.net – Free eBooks for your PDA, iPhone, or eBook Reader (manybooks.net)
- LibriVox (librivox.org)
- The Online Books Page (onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu)
- Free-ebooks.net | Download free Fiction, Marketing,electronic publishing ebooks (free-ebooks.net)
- Bibliomania – Free Online Literature and Study Guides (bibliomania.com)
- Online Books, Poems, Short Stories – Read Print (readprint.com)
- Bartleby.com: Great Books Online — Encyclopedia, Dictionary, Thesaurus and hundreds more (bartleby.com)
- FullBooks.com – Thousands of Full-Text Free Books (fullbooks.com)
- etext center: collections (etext.lib.virginia.edu/ebooks)
- Feedbooks: Food for the mind (feedbooks.com)
- Page By Page Books. Read Classic Books Online, Free. (pagebypagebooks.com)
- Free eBooks at Planet eBook – Classic Novels and Literature You’re Free to Share (planetebook.com)
- Munseys : A Bangsian Fantasy (munseys.com)
- DP: Welcome (pgdp.net)
- World eBook Fair (worldebookfair.com)
- World Public Library Association (netlibrary.net)
- Bookyards.com » Library to the world (bookyards.com)
- eBooks@Adelaide: Free Web Books, Online (etext.library.adelaide.edu.au)
- The Burgomeister’s Books: Truly free ebook download library (#1) (truly-free.org)
Of course, as you can see in the screen-capture image, you also have the ability to also conduct similar site searches on every result as well…meaning that you could find a LOT of related websites in a very short period of time. Told you this was an amazing tool! What make this tool even MORE fun is that SimilarSites also offers a toolbar (which I have installed) so that if you are out surfing the web and you happen upon a website you really like, the toolbar enables you to find sites similar to the one you are visiting right there on the spot. How cool is that?!
Now I just used Gutenberg.org as the example, but I hope that you’re picking up on the greater implication…like finding niche-specific content, for example. You can also use the search to find sites similar to the popular ones out there…like Facebook. There are new social media sites coming online all the time and there is no way you could possibly find them all. SimilarSites makes it easier…and as I always say, “easier is better!” Have fun with it!